I made it through week 1, although not totally unscathed. I have had a severe headache since BEFORE I started the therapy. It has gotten increasingly worse, to the point where I can barely come out from under the covers. Additionally, I have moderate to severe tremors, fluid retention and a general overall malaise. I finally had ENOUGH and called my doc. It appears that these symptoms are not side effects of the therapy drugs, per se, nor or they related to “flu” or allergies. I am overdosed on cyclosporine (my anti rejection agent) No, not intentionally, but this is one of the things that happens with the telepravir… it increases the blood serum levels of the cyclo- (or tacrolimus, which I no longer take). We knew there would possibly be some adjustments necessary, but that is what the every other day labs are about. We caught it on Friday. So this issue is under control for now. The solution is simple. Don’t take my cyclo every day… we will start with every third day and then adjust from there. Oh, and my labs are looking pretty good so far. No need for transfusions or neupogen yet. (I must be getting tougher… HA HA!!)
All of which is good news, since I can start feeling better now.
Which is good news because my first day at St Luke’s/Texas Heart Institute is next Monday. It’s a part time research position that will last for about 1 to 1.5 years. It’s a really good and interesting study. I will be working with some of my best friends and I am really excited for the opportunity.
My prayers today are for Terri Hale and her family as they await results of her biopsy, and for me that I have the strength to carry through with this new position during the next 11 months of therapy.
And that’s all for now, folks!